Four Girls and a Guy

Welcome to our blog for our University College World Politics class!!!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Question # 10

In response to this weeks question I must ask how Columbus understood the indigenous people he encountered in the first place. I don't know about you but I certainly wasn't around to know Columbus' reaction to the indigenous people and I don't think I ever learned how he understood and reacted to them because I haven't yet read the reading for this week. I would think that his reaction to the indigenous people was outlined by the way society was at the time and that his reaction to them wouldn't have been different unless he was part of a different society. I believe that a person's actions and beliefs are shaped by the society they are part of. If this is true, then Columbus can't be held accountable for his actions because any other explorer at that time from Europe would have acted in the same manner. I don't think he should be completely exonerated though. He made his own decisions and he should take the blame for it. We can't transfer blame to the society even though it plays a large part in his decision making process.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

what would the repercussions of him being an individual have been though? going aginst the queen of spain would probably have been pretty hefty...

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home