Four Girls and a Guy

Welcome to our blog for our University College World Politics class!!!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Nats game

My post is about the Nationals game some of us went to on saturday in the drizzle. I thought it was interesting how we managed to sit next to the fans that almost exactly modeled soccer hooligans. The only difference between the two was the lack of weapons and opponants. These baseball fanatics had beer in their hands and were shouting insults at the Arizona Diamondbacks left fielder, Byrnes, without opposition. A few members of our group decided to give them some opposition but it was all in the spirit of the game. What really stuck out to me was the comment made by Professor Jackson's wife. She mentioned that this game was the most interesting game she has been to and she has been to a lot of games apparently. I thought that comment fitted the tone of the last chapter in the soccer book. The last chapter mentioned that US fans weren't that excitable or into the game. I think that chapter is very true to real life, with the exception of some diehard fanatics and cheering for homeruns/runs scored. I think that we fans don't get so into the game is that we know it's a game and these teams don't really have the background that most soccer teams have in Europe, for example the religious backgrounds of the Celts and the Rangers. The teams in the US don't really have major enemies except for maybe the Red Sox/Yankees clashes which spawned from the trade of Babe Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees in my opinion. I think that most fans in the US go to games to relax from the stress of everyday life, not to humiliate the other team into losing. At the game I sat there thinking what mental control Byrnes must have to tune these fans out. He didn't even look their way at all and I know he heard them. I think eeryone in the stadium heard these fans, especially becasue the stadium was very empty beacuse of the rain/drizzle. Another thing I thought was interesting was the fact that our group also got caught up in the spirit of the game thanks to the fans next to us. I was screaming and hollering especially after the two homers were belted out near the end of the game which tied up the score at six. This game was the perfect real life example of the soccer hooligans. I don't think Professor Jackson could have planned it better if he tried.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

My post is about the Nationals game some of us went to on saturday in the drizzle. I thought it was interesting how we managed to sit next to the fans that almost exactly modeled soccer hooligans. The only difference between the two was the lack of weapons and opponants.

Good point.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home